Anne Johnson and Jules are back. They are on their 3rd year at the Best of the Best. Jules, a breeding stock paint mare, would carry this blonde petite pint sized mother of one barrel racer to a 1st ever BOTB Champion and 2012 she would shine again with at Reserve Champion Title. We are all looking to see what 2013 will bring for this dynamic duo.
If you are at the arena after the open on Saturday and before the Best of the Best race you will want to bring your pocket book as we are sure that this team will not be cheap but they will be worth every penny!
Anne Johnson and Show Me Some Glory
1. How old is your horse and how long have you 2 been a team?
Jules is 12 years young and I have owned her since she was a 3 year old.
2. Where did you qualify and what placing was it and how many horses were in the class?
We have had a few successes this year, but the run I entered with was a first place finish at Ross County Fairgrounds. Not sure how many horses were there but it was an NBHA show which always has a good turn out!
3. Any quirks the 2 of you do before you run?
Jules gets so excited before she runs that she sometimes forgets which way the alleyway is so I usually have someone grab ahold of her and lead us in. It’s safer for everyone that way!
4. What do you feed your horse?
She’s on a 12% sweet feed with some supplements like Tandem mixed in.
5. What is one secret training tool?
“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. We never practice barrels at home and haven’t for the last few years. She knows her job so I don’t see any need to wear her out doing it at home.
6. How often do you ride in a week’s time?
I ride about 3 or 4 times a week
7. If you could name one thing that made you the rider you are today, what would it be?
Listening to everyone’s advice, trying it all, and keeping what works for me.
8. What is your favorite arena and why?
It’s a tie between Ross county and the Hartford fairgrounds. Both are big outdoor arenas. For someone reason my mare loves those.
9. Tell us something that not everyone knows about you and your horse?
3 years ago she got a really bad infection in her hind leg. I almost lost her. It was real touch and go there for awhile. The vet was sure if she did make we would have a hard time keeping her sound and she would certainly never run barrels again. But thanks to a vet who wouldn’t give up and some great friends that helped nurse her, here we are! She’s never been lame a day and she keeps on running strong.
10. Do you have any goals for you and your horse in the next year to come?
Just to keep on going strong and for both of us to stay healthy
11. What charity would you like to support if you had the chance and why?
Flying Horse Farms of Mt Gilead, Oh is a camp for children with serious illnesses. They give kids a chance to be a kid for a week at a time and forget about being sick.
12. What has been your all time favorite win as a rider – Any horse, anytime, any arena?
My favorite win ever is when I won the first Best of the Best race in 2011. It was the most fun, exciting race I’ve ever beento! Getting to be the first winner makes me very proud and it’s something I will have with me the rest of my life. By far my biggest riding accomplishment!
Anne we are so happy you were part of it and we are proud to call you our 1st Best of the Best Champion!
Enjoy watching Anne at the Best of the Best and if you can not make the show tune into www.mwspix.com for all the action.